Saturday, September 15, 2007

FROM LAMEST to GREATEST


It was a cloudy Saturday morning and we are all getting ready for my son's soccer culminating activity at his school in Colegio San Agustin, Makati (CSA, for brevity). Excited mom as I am, I went to the nearby mall (as early as it opened) to buy food for the "picnic cum agape" that would be held after the awarding of medals. The mall was already bustling with eager-beaver people anticipating to get a catch in the mall's 3-day sale – (up to 70% off). And I have to deal with these shoppers as bravely as I can… Deliberating what to get for the picnic, i settled for 1 dozen hotdog waffles, 15 pieces yummy empanaditas, liters of lipton kalamansi-flavoured iced tea and gallons and gallons of water (one would never know how soccer players guzzle water when they're super tired).


The whole family (grandma tagging along) and my two angels rushed to the football field to show our support to the family's champ. My son was in high spirits vowing to eat alive all his worthy opponents! (Yes, he brags when nervous). He was even more thrilled when he saw his other team mates warming up for the game. Jogging, stretching and kicking some balls….


CSA's Coach Mario divided all the players into two categories, the big-built group, consisting of red, yellow and blue team and the medium-built group, consisting of white, orange and gray team. My son was with the medium-built white team. At exactly 2:30 pm, all the players rallied in the field with Coach Mario giving important instructions. In the medium built, there would be three elimination games. First game: Orange vs. White; second game: White vs. Orange and third game: Orange vs. Gray.


The soccer game begins, with everyone showing his own mettle and skill, with everyone doing his own David Beckham in the field. I was "deafened" by the shouts and cheers of other parents chanting their son's name. I was busy capturing the whole event with my digital gadgets. My hubby, on one hand, was pre-occupied with posing as an 'unofficial' assistant to the assistant coach of the white team. Go, Go, Go… All players unrelentingly run for the ball. My son was his team's defender. No lucky kick for him. I sensed disappointment. The eliminations game was a cardiac-finished… The tally result:



First game: Orange vs. White = Orange team won

Second game: Gray vs White = Gray Team won

Third game: Orange vs Gray = Gray team Won


TOTAL: Gray Team : SIX (6) points; Orange Team: THREE (3) points

White Team : ZERO (0) point




But it ain't over til it's over. The Gray team garnering the highest point is assured of the finals slot. The next big question is: Which team will compete with the gray team? There goes the rematch between white team and orange team. This game is truly spine- tingling and nerve-wrecking! It's anybody's ball game now… Edgy and panicky as I am, I watched from the distance. Bhaamm…! the white team made their first goal… Everyone applauded, everyone cheered. Time is of the essence. The orange team's star- player was close to exhaustion. Then came the white team's second goal… Yes, it was my son! My son made that winning shot. My hero… The white team's hero… Everyone tapped my son's back… My hubby, the proud father was jumping in joy… I was near in tears…. White team advanced to the finals!


The championship match between white and gray is not as nervy as the previous. At least, (I thought) silver is better than bronze… Gold is surely a bonus. First goal came from the white team. I rejoiced! Run… Kick….Run…Kick!!! Go for the ball… Orange team then scored… One minute and forty seconds left. Tic- tac- Tic- tac.. And before I knew it, white team made another goal. And time's up…. White team won! My son's team and their avid supporters were all roaring wildly. VICTORY!!!


I was able to video the whole awarding ceremony. With the gold medal still hanging in his neck, my son approached me and hugged me. And in his very own childlike but proud, little voice, he retorted: "It's awesome, mom.., from lamest to greatest"! I hugged him even more… We went home with big smiles in our faces… The mom, beaming with unfaltering pride!!!!